There are so many ways you can support someone who’s experiencing a loss. Sending flowers, bringing over food, or just providing a shoulder to lean are some of the most common ways to let someone know you’re there for them in these times of difficulty. But one of the best and most personal ways to express your sympathy is by writing a meaningful sympathy card. A beautiful and carefully written card can make someone feel loved, more secure, and less alone. After all, flowers won’t last a lifetime, but written words will.
Sitting down and coming up with the right words to say for a sympathy card can be challenging. It’s something no one looks forward to, but it doesn’t have to be intimidating. To help get you started with writing your perfect card, we’ve compiled a list of beautiful sympathy messages and quotes for nearly every type of loss. Use these as a guide and remember that including a special memory about the person, a way they had a positive impact on your life, or something you will miss about them is almost always a good idea as it adds a personal, unique touch to your heartfelt greeting.
What to Write in a Sympathy Card
- For loss of Mother
- For loss of Father
- For loss of Husband or Wife
- For loss of Sister or Brother
- For loss of Child
- Religious Sympathy Messages
- Condolence Messages for Coworker
- For Loss of a Pet
Loss of Parent Sympathy Messages
No matter your age, losing a parent is one of the most difficult things we go through in life. If someone you know has recently lost their mom or dad, consider starting your card with one of these touching messages.
Messages for Loss of Mother
- Your mom was an amazing woman. Her memory will live on forever.
- Your mom holds a special place in my heart. She will always be special to me.
- May you find peace and comfort in knowing your mom touched so many lives. She will be missed by so many.
- My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mom. She was an incredible woman who touched so many hearts.
- I hope it will comfort you to know that we share in your loss of such a wonderful woman. Sending love and prayers your way.
Messages for Loss of Father
- Your father was an excellent role model for so many of us. I was heartbroken to learn of his passing and will miss him dearly.
- You will always remember how it felt to be loved by your father. May his memories bring you peace and comfort.
- I will always treasure the memories I have of your dad. He will be missed by so many people.
- We are so sorry to hear of your father’s passing. Please know you and your family will be in our prayers.
- My deepest condolences to you and your family. Your father was an extraordinary man, and his loss will be felt by many.
Loss of Spouse Sympathy Messages
The commitment of marriage creates a bond between two people unlike any other. It is devastating when a husband or wife passes away and the grief can last a lifetime. If writing a sympathy card for someone who recently lost their spouse, the following heartfelt messages are the perfect place to start.
Messages for Loss of Husband
- Please accept my deepest sympathies over the death of your husband and know that you’re in my thoughts during this difficult time.
- There are no words that can express my deepest regrets over the loss of your husband. I pray his memory will bring you peace and comfort over the coming months.
- Your husband was one of the kindest and most generous people I have ever met. You and your family will be in my prayers.
- Your husband had such a positive impact on so many lives. My most heartfelt condolences.
- It was an honor to have known your husband and he will be sorely missed. My deepest condolences.
Messages for Loss of Wife
- Your wife was a special person. I don’t have the words to express my deepest regrets over her passing but know that I’m always here for you if you need anything.
- My heart goes out to you during this time. Your wife was a truly special woman, and I will never forget her.
- We were deeply saddened to learn of the passing of your wife. We extent our deepest condolences to you and your family.
- The world was a better place with your wife in it. She touched so many lives in a positive way and she will be missed dearly.
- You and your wife had an unbreakable bond. I can’t imagine how difficult this must be for you, but please know that I’m always here for you and will keep you in my thoughts.